ASEAN countries

It is said that some of the best cultural places in the world are in ancient Asia.

I am so enthusiastic when talking about travelling, so one year ago I started my game plan while coming back from my home country to Australia. I decided to head to the South East Asian area in July to get involved in one of the richest experiences that a person could have in their life. It was going to be the best eight months in a long time. Many of my friends were doing the same trip, so there was a huge probability that we would meet somewhere again, and indeed we did.

I was recommended to start in Bali as it was the closest and cheapest destination to fly from Cairns. Eleven countries where waiting for me: Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, India, Nepal, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Philippines.

Many tips were given to me related to scams and security. Although I was alert, there was no harm for me in doing it. And fortunately nothing happened to me: I felt safe most of the time.

I travelled by bus, train, plane, and boat; on a scooter, walking and even on a camel. A word to describe how the food, people, and places are is AMAZING, as it is generally said to be. And it’s true, I was fascinated. I met beautiful people, who taught me heaps about life and was left with the best memories.

Unfortunately I couldn’t complete the trip as I stayed longer in some specific places, but I don’t regret it. I decided it was better to go to fewer places but to get to know them deeply. There will be other future opportunities to do the rest and it will be as exciting as this first one. Would you go?

Lucia, Advanced IELTS Class