Unbelievable competitions

As part of their weekly speaking assessment, the students of Pre-Intermediate B prepared presentations about crazy competitions. They had to use modal verbs for permission, obligation or prohibition when explaining the rules of the competition they chose to talk about. Below is Chitose and Michael’s presentation about a milk drinking festival in Australia and some unbelievable Czech beer drinking competitions. Check out their presentation and see if you would like to take part in them? 😉

Chitose:

Hi, I prepared a presentation about a competition in Compus, Australia. The competiton is a milk festival. I had watched this festival on TV when I was in Japan so I already knew it. I would like everyone to know about it because it is such a funny festival .

It is held annually in summer. The festival has already been held 39 times. Since farmers started it, many people are getting to like milk more. Anyone can take part in the milk festival! The rules are so simple. Just run and drink milk. But you have to drink 2 litres of milk and you must run for a goal! So if you run after you drink milk, how do you feel? So sometimes, a lot of competitors vomit the milk… This situation makes spectators laugh. And if you win this festival, you get milk, of course, and applause from spectators.

Thank you for reading my article!!

Michael:

Beer drinking is like a national sport for the Czech and Slovak Republics. A lot of people treat drinking of beer very serious. In both Republics we have a lot of beer drinking competitions. Cities or towns organize festivals with a lot of spectators. The competitors are breaking new records almost every year. For example, a judge counted 4956 people on the square, all of them drinking beer from the cans at the same moment. In this slide Peter can pull up on his little finger. And, this is not everything! He drank a half a litre of beer in eighteen seconds.

Another competitor can move twenty empty beer bottles from one box to another. A competition with throwing empty cans is interesting too. A man threw empty cans for 13, 51 meters.

Sculling beer (a beer race) is a popular competition at beer festivals in the Czech or Slovak Republics. This competitor drank half a litre of beer without using her hands. She held a glass of beer only with her teeth only!  9,4 s. This man won the competition – drinking beer at handstand in 17,98 seconds.

[embeddoc url=”https://cceb.edublogs.org/files/2016/11/Michael-Chitose-2eqx566.pptx” download=”all” viewer=”microsoft”]