Osechi

Osechi is a traditional Japanese new year food!! It looks very beautiful. Normally people only eat Osechi once a year at New Year and they eat it every New Year.  It is a tradition.  I like it. If I didn’t eat it on New Year i would not think that it was New Year…. It is very delicious!!! My grandmother cooks Osechi every year, but my cousin buys Osechi. If we get it from the shops, it looks better than when it is homemade, but homemade Osechi tastes better. When you buy Osechi there more varieties in the types of food included. I like my grandmothers cooking of Osechi. It tastes so good and she makes so much that we can’t eat it all in just one day. We have to eat it over 2-4 days.

Osechi food has meaning. Example “black beans” give hope you can work well. “Kobumaki” has promotes long life. “Kazunoko” is for the prosperity of your offspring. Almost all food has meaning!  So I need to eat Osechi!!

If you are staying in Japan at New Year, please try it!!!!!

Maho, Intermediate A

2 thoughts on “Osechi

1. Maho, I just want to say that the Japanese Osechi tradition is absolutely fantastic! I would love to have it in Australia! Yum! Congrats on your post 🙂 Well done!

2. Hi Maho
    Nice post (as always!) Osechi looks fantastic…actually so much Japanese food looks delicious because it’s so colourful and presented so artistically. Yummy!!! What’s your address in Japan so I can visit you and try your grandmother’s osechi?! 🙂