How some Mexicans would interpret your behaviour

Hi guys! Today, I will focus on an interesting topic for me. It might not interest everyone, but if you visit Mexico once, it would be good for you to know. And I chose this topic because I have noticed that manners could change between countries as well as continents.

First of all, let me tell you that I will talk in a general way; owing to the fact that, as in everything, there are exceptions because of many circumstances.

1. Being a nosy person. Normally, if you have just met a person a few weeks or days ago, he/she could frown upon you asking him/her too much about personal life details, especially about income, relationships, very personal activities, or why you use certain products. However, when a friendship is established, the information comes unexpectedly, so do not worry about knowing everything.
  1. Do not turn your back to people in a meeting or group conversation. I think anyone in my country would interpret this action as disrespect. Even when it happens without intention, the person apologizes for it. And it is the same when somebody interrupts a personal conversation.
  1. Do not point at people. I do not know why, but from childhood, our parents and teachers tell us that this is a bad action. It reminds me of an occasion some weeks ago, when I was on the bus and a girl on the next seat, wanting to show a building to her friend, pointed at the building but almost poked my eye.
  1. Taking care of things that don’t belong to you. If someone lends or shows you something, take care of this, please do not bang or drop it because you did not buy it. And of course, it is a sign that you do not know the value of the things.
  1. Hiding yourself when you owe money. Usually, we can recognize when someone is hiding or evading us because he/she does not want to pay us. So, if you do not have money or you need more time to pay, you should talk with the person who lent you money. Because if you hide, it is impossible for the same person to trust you again; and could tell other people that you are not trustworthy.
  1. Obstructing the way. Maybe this is not at all bad behaviour, but in recent years it has had great relevance in my country especially about using the subway, and stairs. Both cases have taken attention recently, because many years ago if you did whatever you wanted, nobody would complain or uploading your photo to the internet showing you as a bad person. Anyway, when you use the subway you have to let the people inside get off, and not obstruct the exit. However, many inconsiderate people continue to cause tremendous chaos. About the stairs, if you are not in a hurry you must be on the right (in Australia is on left) to let other people pass.
  1. Do not take something without permission. It is horrible when someone takes something of yours without asking you, it is disrespectful. So, it is preferable that when you need something, ask the person. I am sure that the person will be happy you asked and respected his belongings.

Abigail, Upper-Intermediate Class