Beyond Beauty: Taiwan from above

I thought it was just another National Geographic kind of movie. Except that it is about Taiwanese scenery and “oh! Taiwan is so beautiful! Look at the mountains, look at the coastline!’ Essentially, it was different from what I thought. It was absolutely mind-blowing and I think everybody should see this movie because it will change the way you think about our planet. It was not just a movie for Taiwanese audience only. Actually, it should be seen by everybody in the world as it shows something that most people don’t even realise. This movie makes me think about everything that I do in this place which I occupy. Otherwise, this can be applied to everybody everywhere.

CHI, PO-LIN was a director and a screenwriter, who made the script for this movie. HOU, HSIAN-HSIEN was an executive producer. There was no cast in this doco. WU, NIEN-HSIEN Who was a famous director and an art supervisor in Taiwan, who revealed his past only for his own or friends. He was touched by the spirit of CHI, PO-LIN. As this film was free charge as a narrator. HO, KUO-CHIEH was the best original composer. The movie had a low budget. Some charity sponsored the film in the footage we can hear original Taiwanese music. The director took three years and the investment six thousand million dollars to make this movie which was a box-office success  as it grossed two hundred million dollars (AUD: nine million dollars). The equivalent of ten million people have seen the film. This film won the 50th Golden House Award for the best documentary and the 47th Houston International Film Festival.

From the mountains, the oceans and the lakes through the rivers, the forest, the rice fields, and the other landscapes we could admire amazing Taiwan. Otherwise we could also see the damaged Taiwan changed by development of roads. We could see the ocean with a layer of pollution and various different themes. It was not only a gripping documentary but also a thought-provoking film, which can shake to everybody.

“I think no one has ever observed Taiwan in such detail, like a bird hovering or a cloud floating above it. Only from such an angle and height can you truly understand the beauty and sadness of Taiwan.”, the narrator WU, NIEN-HSIEN said. This is a man, the first man in Taiwan who documents our land from Taiwan. CHI, PO-LIN , who was born on 27 December 1964 and died on 10 June 2017, was a leader in using a helicopter view to show Taiwan and to understand Taiwan or even to love it more after having watched it from such a height. This blog post is dedicated to the greatest director, who was an admirer of Taiwan born on 27 December 1964, and died on 10 June 2017.

Stephanie, Upper-Intermediate

[embeddoc url=”https://cceb.edublogs.org/files/2017/06/Beyond-beauty-Taiwan-2msh9t1.pptx” download=”all” viewer=”microsoft” ]