Rubber boating on the Aare

If you’re travelling in the region of Bern in summertime and would like to enjoy a nice day on a river, rubber boating between Thun and Bern will be the perfect activity for you! I find it’s a nice way to explore the region and the beautiful nature combined with a lot of fun. I have done it a few times in the last years and I enjoyed it each time.

If you don’t currently own a rubber boat, it’s no problem. One option is to buy one in a supermarket and during the season you’ll never have a problem to find one. Your other option is to hire one. Either way is really cheap and if you have the rubber boat, you can start immediately.

But I should add something here: although you can see a mass of people practising this activity which looks very safe and not at all dangerous, you should ask yourself a few questions before you set out on your big adventure. Firstly, are you a good swimmer? Secondly, do you know the characteristics of rivers and are you aware of how to swim in them? If you’re unfamiliar with one topic, don’t try rubber boating! And lastly, are you capable to maneuver a boat with paddles? It’s not difficult, you can learn it on the water. As there are not many obstacles on the way, you need no high skills. However, please try the ways of steering out before you need them thereby you won’t end up like the rubber boat users in the picture on the right.

If you’re familiar with all these things and the weather is nice, nothing can hold you back from this amazing experience! And my advice is, take something for a barbecue with you. There‘re a lot of inviting campfire spots along the riverbanks! I’d definitely recommend doing this as you’ll enjoy every second of it! If you have to warm up, just jump into the water and take a swim!

Adrian, Upper-Intermediate B