Hiking? – Not only for old people!

Do you like fresh air, nature and physical exercise? That’s what hiking is about. It`s an awesome leisure activity!

Hiking has several positive aspects. You don’t have to buy much equipment and you can go hiking basically everywhere – mostly even without a guide. You can take friends with you and enjoy a fun day together. If you want to be alone, no problem. Go for it! Doing a hike by yourself is very calming but also challenging. You can test your limits and train your body. The feeling when you reach the top is overwhelming. Most of the time you can expect an amazing view, so don’t forget to take your phone with you to take some stunning pictures!

In Switzerland we have a lot of mountains and hills, as you would probably know. Therefore we have many hiking possibilities. The best experience I have had so far was the hike to the top of the Gantrisch, a striking mountain in Switzerland. We did the trip with the school so our teacher woke us up at three in the morning! We had to wear warm winter clothes because it was very cold. Also we had to use head torches. When we reached the top, we were out of breath, but it was absolutely worth it!

I definitely recommend taking up hiking as a leisure activity because of its huge variety. There is so much you can learn, see and experience. For me, hiking undeniably makes my life richer!

Eliane Bucher, Bern (Switzerland)