How I practised my English speaking skills

One day, I made a friend from outside of school. When I was walking along the Esplanade, I came across a girl who was sitting on the beach. I decided to talk to her.  Before talking to her, I was so nervous because I was just about to talk to a stranger for the first time. However, I really wanted to talk with her. She was listening to music and reading something. I asked her about what she had been doing. She answered to me with a smile. She told me that she had been reading a fantasy story. I was happy because I like fantasy books and stories so I was interested in her more than before. Then I asked her if I could sit near her. She said yes. Our relationship started then. At first, we introduced each other. She was an 18 year-old from Germany working in Cairns. We were talking about favourite books, movies, our cultures and so on.  The first day we met, we were talking for an hour. We hit it off straight away because, as it turned out, we had similar hobbies and the same opinion on many topics. And we promised to meet again.

At the moment, she planned on getting back to her country in twenty days so we only could meet a few times. However, we exchanged texts with each other many times. We often met at the Lagoon after I finished school. She speaks English more fluently than me. When I couldn’t find appropriate words or phrases, she always waited for me and she understood my feelings so I didn’t hesitate to talk to her and I talked frankly. I was happy when I talked with her.

However, gradually the day of her departure came. We had had dinner together before she got back to her country. I was surprised because she invited me on her last day in Cairns. I said that I was really happy because I could meet her. She was very pleased. She told me that if I went to Germany, I should let her know. I was so excited!!

A few weeks have passed since she got back to her country. I already miss her but I believe that we will meet someday.

I really appreciate my English teacher, Justyna. I told her that I had wanted to improve my speaking skills. She advised me that I should go outside of school and talk with someone. If it wasn’t for my teacher’s advice, I think that the meeting would have never happened. Thank you very much, Justyna!

Sayuri, Upper-Intermediate

10 thoughts on “How I practised my English speaking skills

1. Good onya, Sauyri! It takes courage to talk with strangers. I really like your motivation to improve your English speaking skills!

1. It was an invaluable experience. I think that meeting people is very beautiful. I want to cherish this memory. Thanks again, Justyna♫

2. I like friendship stories because they help you to get to know diferent cultures and countries. It is like a family at school because you can create new memories

3. Hello, It’s my first time today.
    I think it is a good story. And I want to try talk to people from other countries but my English skills
    are not good so I am very nervous. I want to learn English more but I don’t know how to study and how to start speaking because I’m shy . I think your challenge is very good.