My friend’s wedding in Malaysia

I visited Malaysia from 17th to 20th May to attend my friend’s wedding. His wife and he are Chinese Malaysian. I’d like to write about their wedding.  The wedding was held over two days.

On the first day, they had a wedding ceremony at the church and a lunch party at the restaurant afterwards. At 5pm I went back to my hotel, but the party continued until late at night.

On the second day, the groom needed to wake up very early to visit the bride’s house with the groomsmen. The bridesmaids and the groomsmen play a significant role in complementing the whole wedding procession. The bridesmaids are in charge of ‘holding the fort’ at the bride’s house while the groomsmen assist the groom in charging the fort in order to gain access to the bride. This is known as the Chinese Bridal Door Game.  The bridesmaids presented the groom and the groomsmen with some difficult situations. After overcoming them, the groom could finally see the bride! After that the groom took her to his family’s house and introduced her to his all relatives. Next everyone joined a Chinese traditional tea ceremony.

The Chinese wedding banquet was held at a hotel ballroom of hotel from 7pm. A movie and many fabulous photos, which had been taken in advance, were displayed at the reception.

I was surprised that the bride had lived in Perth when she was teenager. Now she lives in Malaysia, but her family live in Australia. Her OZ friends also attended the wedding banquets. We enjoyed the performance, the sweet movies, drinking, eating and chatting. I felt it was like a very big family. We shared the happiness.  I’m so blessed to have so many wonderful friends all over the world.

Yuko, Upper-Intermediate