Hot air balloon (Part 2)

Hi! I’m back with Part 2 of my hot air balloon story. If you want to read Part 1, click the link below: https://cceb.edublogs.org/2019/04/20/hot-air-balloon/

Have you ever watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, a famous Japanese animation film? If yes, do you remember an extremely large insect “Ohum” which came on in the film? Before daylight, the shape of the hot air balloon which was being inflated in the dark looked like an Ohum standing quietly.

At 6:00 am, I stood on the grass in Mareeba in order to make my dream come true. It was foggy, but our balloon was being prepared for the flight. A burner in the balloon was lit up. Pumping hot air into the balloon made it slowly become bigger and bigger. I rode in a basket in the balloon. I felt a little bit heat on my cheeks. When the burner was burning strongly, the heat reached my back.

The balloon was ready. When the crew released the rope which was connected to the balloon with 26 people in it, the balloon took off. I felt like the balloon was moving backwards rather than floating in the sky. The buoyancy in the balloon was increased gradually. Before I knew it, I saw the waving crew below. My body was lifted quietly. My dream finally came true!

The sky suddenly lightened. The balloon passed through the clouds and the sun rose. I was amazed because the sky was colored yellow, pink and red like a tequila sunrise cocktail. It was unforgettable scenery. At 3000 feet, the sky was bright and peaceful. Everything on the ground was very small and looked like toys. The fields were green patchworks. However I was not scared because I was in a beautiful landscape.

Yuka Nozawa, Intermediate