Being a ‘hostie’ in Cairns

After taking my open water diving license on the Great Barrier Reef I felt that could not be the end of my diving experience here. It was then that I went to lake 67 and, following Carolina`s advice, I applied for a hostie position. You may not know what ‘hostie’ means. It is basically a volunteer diver who works on a boat in exchange for food, accommodation and dives. It can seem hard work or something not really appealing at first sight, but now that I have tried it, I can tell you that it is an amazing experience: you get to dive with a local instructor who know almost everything about the reef! They show you underwater caves, give you interesting advice about how to find, for example, lion fish and so on. All of this is included in the extremely friendly atmosphere that everyone shares on the boat. Again, an experience that I will never forget and that if you are in Cairns you cannot miss.

Angel

One thought on “Being a ‘hostie’ in Cairns

1. I’m sorry that I don’t have any pictures.
    It was my first day at CCEB. It was a wonderful day because I met a lot of new people.
    I made many friends at CCEB.