About the cake

At Woollies I found a custard cake which looked very delicious and was very cheap (only 2 dollars!). So I bought it without much consideration.

The next day I ate it with my friends, however, I was not very keen on it. It was too sweet and tasted a little strange. Some of my Japanese friends in Japan agreed with me. But, South Americans disagreed. They said it was OK or less sweet and they didn’t think it was too sweet. A Westerner said she needed a cup of bitter coffee to have with the cake.

Japanese sweets are not too sweet maybe because they are healthy. But, in most countries sweets are very sweet. Where does this difference in sweetness come from? Culture? History?

In the end, one of my Japanese friends ate most of the cake and said “Delicious! Delicious!”.

It may be just a personal preference after all, I think.

Kana, Intermediate Class B

2 thoughts on “About the cake

1. Yes, I’ve tried a piece of Aussie cake. It wasn’t big, but too rich for me. I was full after having only one piece of the cake. A Japanese cake is softer, milder and smaller than an Aussie one. And not too sweet. Before my friend who is English made me a cheesecake. It was baked with cream cheese and a lot of fruit. “Japanese cheesecake is baked with only cream cheese and lemon, it isn’t tasty”, she said. I like Japanese cheesecake. Everybody likes the taste which they are accustomed to eating in their countries.