Rules and customs in South Korea

In order to practise modal verbs for permission and obligation, Pre-Intermediate B students were given a task to work on. They had to imagine a friend is going to visit their country (or any country of their choice) for the first time. They had to prepare a PowerPoint presentation about some rules and customs in the country. Here’s Stella and Christies’s presentation about South Korea.

YOU HAVE TO

• From 8 years to 13 years (Korean age): We have to go to elementary school!
  • From 14 years to 16 years: We have to go to middle school!
  • From 17 years to 19 years: We have to go to high school!
  • From 14 years to 19 years: We have to wear a school uniform.
  • 19 years: We have to take a university entrance exam.
  • From 20 years to 31 years: All men have to do army service (for 2 years).

YOU  CAN

• We can have affairs because they have been legalised lately.
  • 20 years: We can have a driver’s licence.
  • 20 years: We can vote.
  • 20 years: We can drink alcohol and we can smoke.
  • On a national holiday: We can wear traditional clothes (called Hanbok).

YOU SHOULD

• We should stop talking during meals.
  • We should give a seat for old people on a bus or subway.
  • We should use chopsticks.
  • While greeting, we should bend our body from our waist up and at the same time say hello!

Stella & Christie, Pre-Intermediate B
[embeddoc url=”https://cceb.edublogs.org/files/2016/07/Korean-Rules-2inhla5.pptx” download=”all” viewer=”microsoft”]

4 thoughts on “Rules and customs in South Korea

1. Each country has some rules and customs. I found three differences between Korea and Japan. The first one is Japanese men don’t have an obligation to do army service. The second difference is we can have a driver’s licence from 18 years old. Thirdly, we can vote from 18 years old. (It started on 10th July, 2016.) When I visited Korea, I saw a high school student who give a seat for old people on a subway. I think because they continue the Confucian education in Korea. It’s a wonderful custom.

2. Thank you Yoko! But nowadays we have problems a little bit when it comes to giving a seat to old people on bus or subway because some rude old persons can think that a young person has to give a seat for an old person and that this is their God given right. So sometimes pregnant women have to stand because we don’t know if it’s an early pregnancy. So some rude old people want to have pregnant woman’s seat and they get angry with a pregnant woman. In my opinion nowadays a lot of young people are also tired so I hope that they’ll not be forced to give a seat for old people.

3. Thank you for your reply, Christie. I knew you have difficult problems in your country.
    Old people should feel grateful rather than used to getting a seat. Besides, it is hard for women in an early pregnancy. We have little problems around us.