In order to practise modal verbs for permission and obligation, Pre-Intermediate B students were given a task to work on. They had to imagine a friend is going to visit their country (or any country of their choice) for the first time. They had to prepare a PowerPoint presentation about some rules and customs in the country. Here’s Leo and Maki’s presentation about Colombia.
- If you go to Bogota (the capital of Colombia) you shouldn’t rent a car to use in the city because the traffic is really chaotic (and you can have an accident).
- You can kiss someone on the cheek to say hello (it’s a normal greeting).
- If you go to Medellin (my city), you should go to the Paisa town and eat the typical dish (Bandeja Paisa) which is really strong.
- You can’t smoke indoors.
- You have to have a visa.
- You can’t bring animals or plants from the other countries to Colombia as animal trafficking is prohibited.
- You can drink water from the tap in some places, but in other places you can’t.
- You should absolutely go to coffee axis (where coffee comes from).
Leo and Maki, Pre-Intermediate B