Carnival in Central Switzerland

It is said that the carnival in Central Switzerland is an extremely famous and intensive event. It lasts from November until February and is spread over a large number of bigger cities and towns, where great occasions are celebrated every weekend. People get dressed as crazy animals, famous stars, and interesting professions and join in the different parties.

Carnival parade in LucerneIn my opinion it’s an amazing event for people who like to get socialized, listen to good and loud guggen music, get dressed in creative costumes and love the atmosphere of huge and crowded celebrations, especially at night .
Once a year you have the opportunity to be someone else and get to know the feeling of being another person or creature. For example, have you ever been a chicken in your life? Or do you know how it feels like to be a teletubby? I guess not.

Me for example, I remember one carnival as a spectacular event. It was in the winter of 2014/2015 and me and my friends were discussing for a very long time about a new and creative idea for our costumes. Finally my friend had an insight: “Let’s go as Oompa Loompas from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!” If you don’t know the film, Oompa Loompas are those funny little people who are workers in the large factory for delicious chocolate. Everyone agreed immediately and we started to create our fancy costumes together. At least we ended up as colourful creatures which had a lot of fun together by dancing to the carnival vibes and distributing chocolate to our friends and of course to strangers too. And believe me, that’s how to make a lot of new friends.

And how about you, do you like carnivals? Have you ever been there and want to share it with us? If yes, please tell us about your experiences and opinions.

Renee, Advanced IELTS Class

One thought on “Carnival in Central Switzerland

1. I love it! Carnival in Switzerland is the same like in Germany, but I’m curiously waiting for Cairns’ carnival next month!