The Great Barrier Reef

On the 14th January, I went snorkelling with two friends on the Great Barrier Reef.

We needed to be at the boat at 7:30 am. Then we had a 2 hour boat ride. The sun was really hot and I put a lot of sun cream and put my hat on. We could chose to do the snorkelling or diving. I chose the snorkelling because I thought that would be enough.

When we arrived, I put the wet suit on and I took the diving mask and the flippers. The water was perfect. We saw everything and the temperature was good.

The Great Barrier Reef was amazing, the fishes were beautiful. I saw the Great Barrier Reef and some parts were dying and others were really beautiful. It looked like a picture and I was impressed.

At 12 am it was the lunch time. They were a lot of choices and it was difficult to choose but I took a lot of different salads. We ate inside because the sun was really hot and we preferred to be protected.

In the afternoon we had three things we could do:

• snorkelling or diving
  • going to a small Island
  • Glass Bottom boat

We chose the Glass Bottom boat. It was really beautiful and a woman explained a lot of things about the Great Barrier Reef. It was interesting. We were lucky because we saw a turtle. Soon after we reached the Island and some people saw a little shark but not me because I was too far away.

At nearly 3 PM we left the Great Barrier Reef to come back in Cairns. The return was difficult because we were tired and we were really hot, so we stayed in the boat.

At 5 pm we arrived in Cairns and I was happy. The day was really good and intense.  When I arrived home the only thing I wanted to do was to take a shower, eat and sleep, but I couldn’t. Because a guy in my sharehouse had got too drunk and he began to be dangerous. But after one guy took care of him, I was able to sleep.

I realized I had a big sunburn because when I laid down my back really hurt. But finally I slept until the next morning. And I dreamed about the Great Barrier Reef.

Laetitia Favre, Upper-Intermediate A

8 thoughts on “The Great Barrier Reef

1. Hi Laetitia

You had an amazing Great Barrier Reef experience! I’ve been a few times and have always enjoyed my time there. What a special part of the world. Great post! Well done! 🙂

2. The sea pictures are nice.
    I like diving so I want to go diving on the Great Barrier Reef.
    But I’m a little worried because I get moving sickness on ships.
    I will go there next weekend.
    I want to see a turtle too.
    Thank you.

3. Terrific experience! I have been in Cairns for six months and I did not go to the GBR yet. However, after your post I am more keen on going there. Thank you for sharing your adventure with us!

4. Good picture.
    Some day I really want to go to the Great Barrier Reef and I want try snorkelling.
    Maybe sea animals and fishes from Japan are different from the Australian ones.
    If I go there, I will be careful about sunburn!

5. Such a beautiful Great Barrier Reef 🙂 I’ve scuba dived and snorkelled on the outer Reef too and I had a wonderful time. You must be tired but I’m sure it was a great experience. Nicely done mate!!

6. Amazing experience!!
    I have been to Cape Tribulation and I could do snorkelling. It`s really beautiful in the sea. Now I wanna go to the Great Barrier Reef.

7. Hi, Laetitia !
    I also visited the reef this weekend and got sunburned on my shoulders and my back! It hurt so much that I couldn’t even put my backpack on! However these experiences will make us never forget to put sun scream as many times as possible and lie under the sun!

8. I think it is amazing memories and this experience is incredible for your whole life!!!
    I hope to travel to the Great Barrier Reef. I want to swim with Nemo and try snorkeling , because I love the sea, I love the fish and I love swimming. These are some of the reasons why I traveled to the city of Cairns because I wanted to go to the GBR with all my heart.
    Is it impossible to travel to Cairns and not go to the GBR.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it is amazing…
    And you are lucky to be able to enjoy this moment!