A very special Australian species

You’ve probably seen this very common Australian creature already; it often hangs around in the Woolworth’s “reduced goods section”, carries a huge backpack and maybe smells funny from time to time. I talk about the many backpackers from all around the world coming to Australia to travel the east coast. Having been part of the backpacker community myself, I got to know the completely different, but awesome, lifestyle a backpacker is living. So next time you see someone buying a XXL cereal carton at Coles, you may identify him as a backpacker in seconds!

One major characteristic of young travelers in Australia is their sense of saving money. Everyone has his tips and tricks to reduce their spending, especially on food:  A $1 Coles Express coffee, the “meal deal” at the Jacks hostel or a whole “ready to serve” chicken at Woolies for $8 are perfect examples for common “backpacker hacks”. Besides, everyone is very proud when finding another good deal and is more than happy to share that with everyone on Facebook etc.

Food in general is a big topic on a backpacker’s mind: the basic meal for everyone is probably noodles with tomato sauce. Why? I think you’ve guessed it already: Because it’s cheap.

But watch out- never underestimate a backpacker’s creativity: This species is especially known for its amazing improvisation skills.  Fancy dishes like pancakes made of water and oats or burgers prepared in a pot are only two examples of that feature!

The improvising doesn’t stop with cooking: I’ve seen backpackers fixing their car engines with tights or ironing their clothes with a sauce pan filled with boiling water- and (most of the time) it works!

But the characteristic I like by far the best is the awesome cohesiveness in the backpacker communities. Everyone is really open- minded and sociable. It is all about meeting new people and therefore making more friends. I would even go so far as to say it is impossible to not make friends when traveling the east coast- in every hostel you find at least a dozen backpackers who want to get to know you and listen to your travel experiences (everyone is very, and I mean VERY, very proud of their travel stories).

You say you’re too shy? Don’t worry.We all know that “breaking the ice” can sometimes be difficult. But there is this good (or sometimes maybe bad friend) called alcohol, who makes that easier. Luckily for you, partying is a very common and fun activity for backpackers. The team spirit is even stronger when getting drunk together and it’s fun to see how many different versions of the drinking game “bus driver” are played all around the world!

The funny thing about this community is that backpackers are in general actually normal persons like you and me! So the creative survivalist you see wild camping in the Australian outback is maybe a German university applicant, who has just finished high school and works at McDonald’s!

Therefore, some might say they pretend to be something they are obviously not. I disagree with that: Backpacking is about experiencing a complete new lifestyle and see how that changes you and the way you look at things and decisions in life. Going abroad for a long time and therefore leaving your friends and family is a brave thing to do. Besides, you have to step out of your comfort zone and take on new challenges every day. There is obviously no mum who cooks spaghetti for you and washes your clothes – YOU are the one taking care of yourself now. That can be very hard sometimes, but that is the way how it changes you as a person in the end.

So, think wisely, when looking around in Cairns and judging  the many at-maccas-working-German-highschool-students failing to find the Great Barrier Reef on their “Lonely Planet” Australia map – at least they’re trying to challenge themselves and therefore experience the exciting up – and down sides of this very special species “backpacker”!

Luisa, Advanced Class