Things I have discovered since I came to Australia

The view from my window.

Before I came to Australia I had been thinking for a long time about travelling to another country. I had wondered if I was going to be able to do it by myself. I knew two things: “I want to go anywhere far from home” and “I need to improve my English skills.”

My photo of the Sydney Opera House.

So here I am, I have been living in Australia for almost a month and these are the things I have learned:

1. People are nice, no matter where you are or if you speak their language perfectly or not, you can always find someone who wants to help you.
  2. You just need to know a few sentences to start a conversation, like “What’s your name?” Or “Where are you from?” And that’s it, the rest will be easy and you can always use your body language if you don’t know the words.
  3. Anyone can travel alone. I often got lost in my own city, I prefer to stay at home rather than go out, and I thought the worst thing in the world was talking with strangers or in public. So if I can make it anyone can. I can say that sometimes you just need to let yourself go and stop overthinking everything.
  4. The world is massive; you can find interesting places everywhere and now I want to visit more countries. I already went to the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge, Botanical Gardens and The Rocks in Sydney. And here, in Cairns I have visited the lagoon and I have been living in an amazing part of the city.

So this is what I have learned: you can find good people and beautiful places wherever you go and I am capable of doing more than I expected. I can’t wait for my next adventure!

Berta, Intermediate Class