A Survival Guide for South Americans in Australia

Cristobal

Hi, we are two students from South America, which we believe is the best place in the world. And now with our experience in this foreign country, we’re gonna give you a guide to your survival if you intend to come to Australia.

Luana

We have been in Australia for 3 months and we are studying at CCEB, one of the English schools in Cairns. I’m Cristobal from Chile. My country is the narrowest country in South America and the furthest south. Hey, what’s up? I’m Luana from Brazil, the country of samba and beautiful girls like myself 😉

Let’s go with our survival guide!

The plane: If you are from anywhere in South America, your first challenge in this adventure will be one of the longest flights you’ll ever have, as it’ll probably take you more than one day! If you aren’t a patient type, you need to take a pill and sleep throughout your flight. Otherwise, it’s a good idea to read a long gripping book. Good luck!

Jet lag: When you finally arrive in Australia, your next obstacle is something called a jet lag, which according to experts is a temporary sleep disorder. It occurs when the body’s internal clock is out of sync with cues from a new time zone. But for us it happens when our body wants to sleep but we have so many fun things to do (F#%k jet lag!). If you want our opinion, the best way to fight it is by drinking heaps of coffee or when you feel tired, you need to take a cold shower and start again!

The food: One of the most important issues is… Yes, it’s food, you guessed correctly! Australia has a different kind of food, for example kangaroos! If you like kangaroos a lot, you are lucky here as you can eat them! But if it isn’t your preference, you can buy healthy food at Rusty’s Markets, which is cheaper on Sundays. However, if all these alternatives are not convincing, you can go to Woolworths and buy a delicious pizza for only 6 dollars!

Animals: Australia is the continent with the most dangerous animals in the world. If you’re from South America, this can sound familiar. While you are swimming in the sea, probably a shark or a crocodile (yes, they live in the sea, we didn’t know it either!) is watching you and thinking about you as a delicious lunch. But if swimming with sharks is not your thing, you can walk through the jungle with the most poisonous snakes. And if you don’t find these activities so attractive, you can stay at home and watch a movie on Netflix but watch out for these spiders!

In spite of all these things we have told you, do not be afraid! Australia is a stunning place with lots of opportunities for travelling, studying, etc. It is multicultural and everyone will find something fun to do, no matter if they come with their family, friends, or even alone. We can assure you that you will have an unforgettable experience that you will undoubtedly enjoy a lot. And if we can convince you, we’ll be waiting for you here to have a few beers with you. Cheers! See you in Australia traveller!

Luana and Cristobal, Upper-Intermediate B

3 thoughts on “A Survival Guide for South Americans in Australia

1. Australia is so amazing. I think if you can survive in Chile, you will certainly survive here.
    I have enjoyed my time here and I came alone! So if anyone is there reading this post, please come over and you will meet amazing people here!
    I really like your post guys! It is such a long way for us to come here. I think the best of all it’s that we are not going to be the same when we go back to our countries.

2. Hi, my class mates,

your text is great, so funny and useful too. Even though I’m not from South America, I enjoyed reading it so much. Some information sounds familiar, especially the Jet lag… :-[ I spent around two days traveling to Australia. I thought that my flights and waiting at the airports would never end. But everything was worth it, because I have found here the love of my life, have met awesome people and I have visited lots of beautiful places. ;-]