How to stop food waste?

Facts

Australians discard up to 20% of the food they purchase. That’s four million tonnes, or roughly 140 kg per person of food going to the bin each year. What consumers don’t know is that a food product doesn’t look perfect (it’s either too big or too small), it doesn’t reach the supermarket shelves.

The fishing industry plays a big role too. About 60% of all fish caught is discarded, because they are the wrong size. In south-eastern Australia alone 20`000 tonnes of fish products are wasted each year.

Another problem is food labelling. A lot of food will be discarded long before it`s actually out of date.

About 40% of the food waste is from households. Sometimes we buy too much because we don’t use a shopping list. Another problem is we don’t use our leftovers. Instead of cooking with what we have at home, we get take away last minute.

Now the question is, what are the environmental effects of food waste?

If we put the leftover food to the trash together with other organic matter, it will give off a greenhouse gas called Methane. The adverse impact is the increase in global warming.

In my opinion there is another big reason to stop the food waste and it’s ethical. Before you put your leftover food in the bin, think about all these people who haven’t got enough food!

So I think, we have to stop food waste. Now, the question is: HOW?

I think it’s difficult to change our system or the food industry, but everyone of us can change a little bit in our lifestyles. Here is how we can do it:

• Before you go the grocery store, write a shopping list of what you really need to buy.
  • Store your food correctly. The products will last longer when you store them right.
  • If you have leftovers which you don’t want, take them to your neighbours. Maybe they will be pleased about it.
  • If you have leftovers, use them up on the following day or for other meals.

Here is one example how I use some of my leftover food. If I have some leftover or overripe fruit, I keep it in the freezer. The next day I make some delicious smoothies or ice cream. One of my favourite leftover use is making banana ice cream. If I have leftover bananas, I freeze them and use them for ice cream.

It’s a little step for you but a big step for the environment.

Stefanie Kempf, Upper-Intermediate B

One thought on “How to stop food waste?

1. Dear Stefanie, I totally agree with your opinion. The biggest problem is that people are lazy and don’t care about our environment and about the future of our children. We need THE GLOBAL SOLUTION but our governments have “more important things to do” unlike the future of the Earth. What I’m missing in Australia is an opportunity to compost leftovers from vegetables. In the Czech Republic it is common that households have a special bin for composting which they get from our government.