A very special Neoclassical style building in Korea

The splendid reception room

Can you imagine a palace in Korea? (If you can’t, please search the Internet.) What kind of palace comes to your mind? Wood struts? Tiled roof? Windows made of wood and paper?

Well, those images are not incorrect. However now, I want to show you a Western style palace in Korea.

Its name is ‘Seok-jo-jeon’ Hall. It was built in 1910, in the Neo-classical style. Originally, Seok-jo-jeon was to be used as a palace of King Go-jong, but it wasn’t. When Seok-jo-jeon was completed, the Korean Empire (also called Jo-seon, because only 2 emperors reigned it) was a colony of the Japanese Empire.

The place where emperor drank coffee

For a long time, Seok-jo-jeon lost its function and was used for various purposes: as accommodation of ex-king Go-jong and his family, an art museum of Jo-seon, and a palace relics exhibition hall, etc. It was not until 2009 that the restoration of Seok-jo-jeon began which was finished in October, 2014.

I went to Seok-jo-jeon in March, 2017. I looked around Seok-jo-jeon with a guide. (If you want to check it out, you must book a guided tour before you go there. You can book a tour in English, Japanese and Chinese.) During my tour, the guide told me about the history of the Korean Empire, about its royal family and the furniture in Seok-jo-jeon.

The story of the royal family was so interesting because the history of the Korean Empire felt bitter. King Go-jong who was the last king of Jo-seon and the first emperor of Korean Empire wanted to make Jo-seon as strong as the UK or France, so he changed the name of the country from Jo-seon to the Korean Empire and promoted its refurbishment. Unfortunately, even though he worked hard, he lost his empress and his throne to the Japanese Empire. Moreover, the Korean Empire signed Korea-Japan Annexation in 1910.

The emperor’s bedroom

I think, Seok-jo-jeon expresses the sorrow and the beauty of modern Korea. The main colour of the furniture was gold and deep blood red, which were symbolized the Emperor. Also, the pattern which looks like a flower of a plum decorated both the furniture and the interior. Because King Go-jong really liked coffee (so the Japanese Empire tried to poison him with it), I was able to find many coffee cups, pots and sugar cans that captured the era Seok-jo-jeon was built in.

The photo of Seok-jo-jeon which was used as an art museum

I hope while looking around the Seok-jo-jeon you will be impressed the same I was. The guides in Seok-jo-jeon were kind and provided me with enough knowledge. If you plan to visit this unusual Korean building, please ask me how to book your guided tour. By the way, admission is free!

Suu, Upper-Intermediate